If you rent your present home:
- Give necessary notice to your tenants/landlord.
- Make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
- Disconnect your telephone and cable TV, if applicable.
At your “new” home:
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get “Change of Address” cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forwards your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspaper, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current bank to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair, or storage: e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of pets.
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids, as it is illegal for movers to carry them.